This is a Conversation between The Woman Leader PDP, Taraba State, and a Taravoices Correspondent.
- Tell us about yourself?
- I am Honourable Mrs. Felicia Calistus from Bali Local Government Area. I’m married with 9 children, 3 are Deceased remaining 6.
- Can we know about your Political Career and what brought you into it?
- First of all, it all started in a Catholic Church where I was the Parish Woman Leader in Bali, Taraba State and afterward I joined Politics as a Secretary of my Ward before becoming a Caretaker Councillor and Later a Councillor. I was then appointed as Woman Leader of 3 wards (Ward A, Ward B and ‘Mai Hula’ Ward) out of 11 wards, I was the only woman privileged to be in control of 3 wards.
- How long have you been Active as the Woman Leader in Taraba State?
- I have been active from 18th April 2012 till date making this my second tenure. This government brought me back because of my good leadership qualities and experience.
- What is the PDP Women Plans for the State?
- We believe in the integration of our party from the National to the ward level, that is why we indulge in activities that project the party in standing, leading, moving and never breaking up.
- How has the Government impacted on the PDP Women?
- The Rescue Captain Arch. Darius Ishaku with his Government have done a lot in the midst of trials from tribunals to Supreme Court and in it all, the Government has been very effective with Youths, Women, Entrepreneurship, and Security. Permit me to quote the Governor’s famous phrase ‘Give me Peace and I will give you development’.
His Wife Barr. Anna Darius Ishaku involves Women a lot in the activities of the State in bringing hope for development, this can be seen through her Hope Afresh Foundation in training Women and youths on Skills Acquisitions and her sensitization activities on drug abuse. Her Excellency believes that we as Women are a parent to our children and since they are the leaders of tomorrow, we have to train them well so that they would not be wayward in the society. The Wife of the Governor is a Woman that fears God and who wants to see the growth of the State, she is the ‘Naa Ndola’ because if you do not have a heart, you cannot go to that community and whatever you do in Taraba, the people of Ndola are involved.
- What are some of your Challenges as a Woman Leader?
- As you all know, dealing with women is not easy, sometimes we don’t come together to agree because women act like children at times but I as a Woman Leader, my patience has paid off in tackling issues. We dialogue and mediate with the Women in coming to a substantial decision always.
- What Final words do you have to say?
- I call on all the Women in the State to support this government and also to be patient as everything will continue to work out for the good of the land. We are praying for the Governor and the State in general, we pray that his Excellency’s tenure ends well so that he gets to return and as women, we are waiting and ready for his second tenure.
Finally, I would like to condole with the Governor and the people of Taraba on the loss of Pharm. Danbaba Suntai and pray for more comfort and grace as the burial arrangement takes place soon.