WATER SECTOR SCORE CARD
The Taraba State Water Supply Agency is the government’s Agency saddled with the responsibility of providing safe water to the urban and semi-urban centers of the State numbering about 40 towns and small towns across the State.
The operations of the Water Supply Agency went into comatose and remain shut for 11 months until the coming of the Rescue Mission of Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku, who immediately after his inauguration on May 29th, 2015 released funds for the restoration of water supply to the people of Taraba State in line with his thrust of making water supply a priority of his government. He has since then maintained funding of the operations and maintenance of the Water Supply Agency on monthly basis. As a result, water supply has been restored to over 30 urban and semi-urban towns within the State.
As a developer, His Excellency Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku noticed first hand the upsurge in the population of Jalingo, the State Capital due to the mass relocation of people from Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States and within the State as a result of the insurgency in the North East which has overstreched the already inadequate water supply system, even with the on-going African Development Bank Assisted Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project. His first official assignment outside the State was the visit to the African Development Bank Nigerian Field Office to explore areas of further cooperation in water supply and others.
He quickly awarded a contract to the tune of N6.8Billion for the construction of new water supply system tagged “Jalingo Primary Water Source Project” consisting of an infiltration gallery, Pumping Station, Water Treatment plant, Transmission line and additional 150km distribution network to further improve the water supply situation of the State Capital.
Summary of the achievements in the water sector in the past two years include:-
- The restoration of water supply to Jalingo and 29 other towns through consistent release of funds to the State Water Supply Agency for the operation and maintenance of the State water supply systems.
- The repair of all broken down plants, pumps and equipment in all water supply stations of the State on assumption of office.
- Visit to the Country Director, African Development Bank Nigerian Field Office for collaboration and partnership towards meeting the State’s developmental stride.
- The award of new contract for the Jalingo Primary Water Source to augment existing effort.
- The payment of counterpart funds for JICA drilling rig which has been lying dormant for about 2 years.
- The drilling of 100 boreholes in communities across the State.
- The purchase of high class modern laboratory equipment for water quality control.
- The purchase of water treatment chemicals to ensure good quality water that is safe for the people.
- The purchase of 500 water pumps to support irrigation and dry season farming in the State
- The reactivation of the mini water supply system for the Presidential Lodge.
- Stakeholders’ benchmarking visit to Nairobi City Water & Sewerage Corporation led by His Excellency, Arc. Darius D. Ishaku
- Engagement of 50 professionals comprising Engineers, Scientists, Economists, Accountants, Business/Commercial professionals, etc and sending them to Kenya for Hands-on-training to cover manpower gap in the water sector.