Today is International Day of Peace when thousands observe a day of non-violence and ceasefire.
The date was established by the United Nations General Assembly back in 1981 and in 2001 the day became one where all should lay down their arms and people able to get access to humanitarian aid.
International Day of Peace was initially established to coincide with the opening day of the annual session of the UN general assembly on the third Saturday of every September.
However, this was adjusted to a fixed date of 21 September in 2001 so that the significance of the day would be boosted.
This year’s theme is ‘The sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace’.
Here are 28 quotes to celebrate the date:
1) ‘Peace begins with a smile.’ – Mother Teresa
2) ‘Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.’ ― Mahatma Gandhi
3) ‘Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.’ – John F. Kennedy
4) ‘You cannot find peace by avoiding life.’ ― Virginia Woolf
5) ‘Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.’ ― George Carlin
6) ‘Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.’ – Albert Einstein
7) ‘We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.’ – William Ewart Gladstone
8) ‘Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one’ – John Lennon
9) ‘I believe in the religion of Islam. I believe in Allah and peace’ – Muhammad Ali
10) ‘If you want peace, you don’t talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies.’ – Desmond Tutu
11) ‘You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us. And the world will live as one.’ ― John Lennon
12) ‘If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.’ – Nelson Mandela
13) ‘An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.’ – Mahatma Gandhi
14) ‘Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.’ – Martin Luther King, Jr.
15) ‘If the human race wishes to have a prolonged and indefinite period of material prosperity, they have only got to behave in a peaceful and helpful way toward one another.’ – Winston Churchill
16) ‘There is a higher court than courts of justice, and that is the court of conscience. It supersedes all other courts.’ – Mahatma Gandhi
17) ‘Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.’ – Buddha
18) ‘If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace.’ ― John Lennon
19) ‘If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.’ – Mother Teresa
20) ‘Democracy is necessary to peace and to undermining the forces of terrorism.’ – Benazir Bhutto
21) ‘Nobody can hurt me without my permission.’ ― Mahatma Gandhi
22) ‘When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.’ ― Jimi Hendrix
23) ‘Do you know what astonished me most in the world? The inability of force to create anything. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the spirit.
Soldiers usually win battles and generals get the credit for them. You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war. If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that precede cannon shots.’ – Napoleon Bonaparte
24) ‘It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it.’ – Eleanor Roosevelt
25) ‘It’s so hard to forget pain, but it’s even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.’ ― Chuck Palahniuk, Diary
26) ‘If someone thinks that peace and love are just a cliche that must have been left behind in the 60s, that’s a problem. Peace and love are eternal.’ ― John Lennon
27) ‘Don’t Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold.’ ― Bob Marley
28) ‘When I say it’s you I like, I’m talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch.
That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed.’ ― Fred Rogers