Taraba state Governor, Arc. Darius Dickson today laid a foundation of Jalingo primary water supply scheme at Dadinkowa – Sabongari, Jalingo as part of activities marking his one year in office.
He maintained that water is of highest priority in his administration. This informed his decision to upscale the water intervention of the African Development Bank, which was supposed to have been started since 2008 but could not commence until 2012.
The Governor stressed that because of the peaceful atmosphere that exists in Taraba state, there was an influx of people to the state due to the activities of Boko Haram (insurgency), which became prevalent in some parts of the North Eastern States and it is important for the state government to improve on the existing water supply in the state.
He also explained that the project includes the construction of infiltration gallery and pumping station on River Lamurde at Saminaka, transmission lines of 3.4 kilometer to deliver water to the reservoirs on Jalingo hill.
Also included in the construction works, are water treatment facilities, construction of additional pipelines covering over 150 kilometers within Jalingo and environs and the erection of additional state-of the-art water tower on Jalingo hill.
Darius Ishaku commended the State Ministry of water resources for its commitment and determination in identifying a reputable construction company, SCC Nigeria Limited, as well as keying into the state Government vision of providing portable drinking water to the people of the state by working relentlessly to see to the commencement of this giangantic project. He assured the Ministry of his continuous support to its logical conclusion.
He also informed the gathering that about 29 towns and villages have so far benefited from water supply in their areas cutting across about 15 local government councils in the state through consistent release of funds to the state water supply agency for repair and maintenance to enhance regular water supply.
Also achieved within this one year included the repairs of broken down water plants, supply of equipment in all water stations on assumption of office, visit to the country Director of AFDB for collaboration and partnership towards meeting the state developmental stride, payment of counterpart fund to JICA drilling rig which have been lying dormant for over two years, the drilling of 100 boreholes in communities across the state, purchase of high-class modern laboratory equipment for water quality control.
- Equally, within this period water treatment chemicals has been used to ensure good quality water that is safe for the people.
- 500 water pumps to boost and support irrigation and dry season farming most especially in the area of rice farming will also been purchased.
- Two boreholes to supply water to the green house at college of agriculture covering a distance of 3 kilometers and the reactivation of mini supply system to the presidential Lodge has been constructed.
Earlier in his speech, the Commissioner of water resources, Barr. Emmanuel Yakubu Gowon described the foundation laying ceremony as unique and important in the lives of people in Jalingo and environs, stressing that water supply in the state capital will be greatly improved.
Emmanuel Gowon commended the state government for the wonderful support it has accorded the Ministry within this period which culminated in the successes recorded by the Ministry, pointing out that dry season farming is yielding the desired support with cluster of farmers going into dry season rice farming.
He assured the Governor that the Ministry will continue to support his initiative and said at the Ministry of water resources will sleep and wake with the idea of supplying clean water to all and sundry in Jalingo.
High point of the event was:
- The ground breaking foundation laying ceremony of Dadinkowa primary water supply scheme,
- Distribution of water pumping machines to cooperatives societies that specialises in dry season farming,
- Commissioning of two trucks of sanitation vehicles and other sanitation components as well as
- The commissioning of a 33 KVA transformer dedicated to the Jalingo water supply Agency and a playlet by the Taraba state cultural troupe.
The event was witnessed by the state Deputy Governor, Haruna Manu, Speaker, Taraba state house of Assembly, Hon. Peter Abel Diah, members of the Taraba state House of Assembly, Commissioners and all top government functionaries in the state.