Being a vegetable, okro is healthy, should be included in one’s daily okro diet. Here are a few specific. Eating fresh okro is great, give it a try.
Health Benefits of Okro Diet
- Prevent Colon Cancer by cleaning out the intestinal tract. Okro is able to improve colon health by allowing the organ to work at a higher rate of efficiency and reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Prevents Diabetes: The presence of eugenol in okro helps fight against diabetes. The fibre also helps stabilize blood sugar levels by delaying sugar absorption from the intestine.
- Prevents Constipation: Okro is one of the best vegetable sources of dietary fibre essential for the digestive system. Dietary fibre in okro helps prevent and relieve constipation. The soluble fibre in okro absorbs water and add bulk to the stool thus preventing constipation.
- Prevents Anaemia: The iron content of okro forms haemoglobin in the blood and prevents anaemia. Vitamin K helps in blood coagulation.
- Aids Weight Loss: The dietary fibre contained in this vegetable helps people who are on weight loss programs. Okro has a very low caloric value, so it is a great addition when losing weight.
- Improves Heart Health: The soluble fibre in okro helps to lower serum cholesterol and thus reduces the risk of heart disease. Eating okro is an effective way of controlling the body’s cholesterol level. Okro is also high in pectin that helps in lowering high blood cholesterol by altering the production of bile in the intestines.
- Improves Immunity: The high vitamin C in okro helps fight cold and cough by encouraging healthy immune system. The vitamin C and many essential minerals like magnesium, manganese, calcium, and iron in okro also help fight against harmful free radicals and therefore promote healthy immune system.
- Improves Eyesight: Vitamin A and beta carotene found in okro are essential nutrients for maintaining good eyesight. In addition, the essential nutrients also help prevent eye related diseases such as cataracts. Vitamin A is a good eye health, and protects against eye disorders.
- The Healthy Pregnancy: The high amount of folate contained in the okro is beneficial for the foetus during pregnancy. Folate is an essential nutrient which improves the development of the foetus’ brain. The high amount of folic acid in okro plays an important role in the tube formation of the foetus from the fourth to the twelfth weeks of pregnancy. Try eating raw, it will be of great benefit to women who experience miscarriages.