Onion also known as bulb onion or common onion is a vegetable that is most widely cultivated species of the genus allium. Onion has been in use since ancient Egypt and is still popular today in many cuisines around the world.
It possesses many promising medicinal purposes because of the nutrients, vitamins, minerals and organic compounds contained in them, including sulfuric compounds and quercetin in essential oils.
Some Benefits of Onions
- Onions contain anti-inflammatory properties that reduce redness and swelling acne. Onions juice mixed with olive oil could be an excellent prevention from the symptoms of acne.
- A study suggest that onions have the ability to improve one’s sex life by increasing one’s sex drive and libido.
- Onions can help individuals with ear-ache. If one has an ear ache, add a few drops of onions juice to the ear. Tinnitus,the ringing sound in the ear may be cured by applying onion juice through cotton wool. Please do not use on children.
- Onions can prevent cancer. Onions has an antioxidant called quercetin that has shown to reduce and even avoid the spread of cancer. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals that can mutate healthy cells into cancerous cells.
- Onions can help manage type 2 Diabetes. Chromium is a mineral found in onions that helps the body regulate blood sugar levels. It also promotes slow and controlled release of glucose to the muscles and body cells.
- Onions helps strengthen the immune system and fights Infection.
- Onions are rich in vitamin C, which can give one’s immune system a boost to fight off toxins and other foreign objects. Also the phytochemicals present in onions act as a stimulant to vitamin c within the body.
- Onions are great for oral hygiene: Raw onions can destroy germs in the oral area,including throat and lip.This can prevent tooth decay and oral infections.