Hi, there, in today’s herbal corner I’ll be sharing with you on the sesame seeds popularly known as Ridi in the Northern part of Nigeria.
Sesame seeds may be tiny, but they have huge health benefits. They were worth their weight in gold during the middle ages, and for many good reasons.
In the North, most people take it in sugar cake forms, some with chicken. While some take it in their raw forms. They come in different colours too. The black sesame is richer in certain nutrients.
Sesame seeds are an excellent source of copper, a very good source of manganese, and a good source of magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, molybdenum, and selenium. This rich assortment of minerals translates into the following health benefits.BENEFITS
- Full of great protein: Sesame seeds are full of high quality protein. Protein makes up 20% of the seed with 4.7 grams of protein per ounce.
- Helps prevents diabetes: Sesame seeds contains magnesium and other nutrients. Sesame oil has been shown to prevent diabetes, and it can also improve plasma glucose in hypersensitive diabetes.
- Produces blood pressure: The same study above reveals how sesame oil lowers blood pressure in diabetes. Sesame seeds are full of magnesium-a key nutrient known to help lower blood pressure.
- Lowers cholesterol: Sesame seeds help lower cholesterol levels, because it contains phytosterols that block cholesterol production. Black sesame seed are especially high in phototerols.
- Good for digestion: The high fibre content of sesame helps the intestine with elimination.
- For healthy Skin: The high zinc content helps produce collagen, giving skin more elasticity and helping repair damaged body tissues. Regular use of sesame oil can reduce skin cancer. Learn more on sesame oil benefit for skin.
- Boos heart health: Sesame seed oil can help heart health by preventing atherosclerotic lesions with the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound known as sesame oil.
- Prevents cancer: Sesame seeds contain anti-cancer compound including phytic acid, magnesium and phytosterols content of all seeds and nuts.
- Helps lessen anxiety: Sesame seeds contain the stress-relieving minerals, magnesium and calcium. It also contains calming vitamins thiamine and tryptophan that help produce serotonin, which reduces pain, assist moods, and helps you to sleep deeply.
- Alleviates Anaemia: Black sesame seeds are particularly rich in iron. They are highly recommended for those with anaemia and weakness.
- Protects from radiation damage to DNA. Sesamol in sesame seeds and sesame oil has been shown to protect against DNA damage caused by radiation.
- Relieves arthritis: The high copper content in sesame seeds prevent and relieve arthritis, and strengthens bone, joints and blood vessels.
- Protects liver from alcohol: Sesame seeds help prevent you from alcohol’s impact on your liver, helping you maintain healthy liver function.
- Prevents wrinkles: Sesame seed oil prevents harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun from damaging your skin, preventing the appearance of wrinkles and pigmentation.
- Encourages bone health and prevent osteoporosis. A handful of sesame seeds contains more calcium than a glass of milk. The high zinc content of sesame also help boosts bone mineral density.
- Good for eye health; in traditional Chinese medicine, there is the relationship between the liver and eyes. The liver sends blood to the eyes to support functioning. Black sesame seeds are the best for this.
- Good for respiratory health; the magnesium in sesame seeds help prevent respiratory disorders by preventing airway spasm and asthma.
Helps prevent migraine headaches in those who suffer from them, and reduces PMS during the luteal phases (second half of menstrual cycle).